Friday, May 2, 2008

Pre-recording is work!

I have a real appreciation for audio engineers. The ones I know seem to get great pleasure in taking their time to make sure every little detail is covered. The positioning of the instruments in a room. Where the mics are set up. How they are set up. Even down to the neatness of the studio before anyone arrives.

I love this. I love this, because it is so not me. The one thing that has bugged me most about recording in the past is the time (and I mean TIME) it takes to get everything ready before you can actually START recording. It drove me crazy.

Today, though, I took great pleasure in watching Jason (my engineer), maticulously go about each procedure. Wow, those drums can take some time setting up! Mainly, because I saw it as time to hang with some great people.

I guess in the past, I was so caught up in getting started, I missed one of the great aspects of recording. The people. Isn't it the people that make life more enjoyable? All our differences. All our mess. All our creativity. And when you put us all in a room, we're able to make something beautiful.

I have to be honest. I have been terrified of the response I would get from everyone working on this project. Would they like my music? It's such a personal thing; music. Especially, when those songs are a reflection of your soul. Of what life has done to you. What you've experienced. Be it joy. Pain. Love. Betrayel.

Fortunately, the response (so far) has been more than I expected. I hope my music can be a source that helps people connect with what they are going through in life. To help. To console. To free.

Lofty ideas. I know.

No comments: