Monday, May 12, 2008

Being a Smart Artist

There are a lot of amazing musicians and recording artists in the world. A lot of them are even better than some of the recording artists you hear everyday on the radio. So. In my mind, making it in the music industry goes much further than just being a good musician. Sure, connection help. Really help. But there are some practical things we can all do to help move our music careers along.

James Lee Stanley makes a great point in this article. His basic point. Have a plan. For a lot of musicians, it's easy to write, sing, and play. But when it comes to thinking business, having a plan, and thinking strategically, well. That's hard.

My thought, is to surround yourself with the type of people that will help you fill the weakness in your life.

The one thing that made the recording go so well last week was the fact that I surrounded myself with people who are more talented than myself. And that can only make me better.

The same goes for thinking about your music as a career. Thinking through the business side of the music industry.

Take the time to think. Make a plan.

2 comments:

Reed and Kelli said...

this is a really cool post! thanks for sharing :)

p.s i met you through your beautiful wife at Heather Marvins baby shower. Your family is too cute!

Trey Rollins said...

Thanks! The fam definitely keeps me on my toes!